The Ottawa Chamber of Commerce and the Ottawa Business Journal are pleased to announce the 2017 Forty Under 40 recipients, one of Ottawa’s most prestigious business awards recognizing accomplished and rising business leaders under the age of 40.
More than 200 applications were completed this year, a record-smashing number that made the selection process even more difficult than usual for the panel of judges.
This year’s winners have excelled in many fields of commerce – not to mention on the playing field.
Among the newest crop of recipients is former CFL receiver Pat Woodcock, who was named the most outstanding Canadian in Montreal’s 2002 Grey Cup victory after catching a record 99-yard touchdown pass. Today, Mr. Woodcock is co-owner of Elite Performance Academy, an athletic training facility in Kanata that counts several CFL and NFL players among its clients.
Other recipients include Escape Manor co-founder Chris Bisson. The local company now boasts escape rooms in Cornwall, Regina and Brisbane, Australia in addition to two locations in Ottawa.
“The level of talent in Ottawa is second to none, as these awards once again demonstrate,” said chamber president and CEO Ian Faris. “The entrepreneurial spirit of this year’s recipients is sure to pay major dividends for our region in terms of continued economic growth and prosperity.”
“I think that it’s terrific to see such interest in this awards program as we celebrate our 20th group of recipients,” said OBJ publisher Michael Curran. “We were overwhelmed with the response, having more than 200 people nominated. I think it’s fair to say this might have been the toughest competition we’ve seen in two decades. The recipients should feel particularly proud.”
Besides Mr. Curran, the judging panel included past recipients Iwona Albrecht of Soloway Wright, Patrick Dion of Greenbridge Consulting Group and Robert Rheaume of BDO Canada as well as Dirk Bouwer of Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP and OBJ print editor David Sali.
Recipients were assessed on a 40-point system, with a maximum of 20 points for business accomplishments, 10 points for professional expertise and 10 points for community involvement.
The recipients will meet in late May at the Telfer Executive MBA facility for an afternoon of introductions and sharing their stories, and the group will be celebrated at a gala at the Hilton Lac-Leamy on June 16.
The Forty Under 40 awards are co-hosted by the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce and the Ottawa Business Journal. A special edition of the Ottawa Business Journal will feature the 2017 recipients.
Twitter users are encouraged to tweet their congratulations to the group using #OTT40.
- Eddy Abou-Nehme, seoplus+
- Aali Alizadeh, Giatec Scientific
- Janice Ashworth, Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op
- Laura Behzadi, Bicycle Craft Brewery
- Chris Bisson, Escape Manor
- David Bouchard, PureLogic IT Solutions
- Rachel Caven, Caven Nutrition Group
- Martin Cloake, Raven Telemetry
- Gordon Cudney, Gowling WLG
- Haissam Dahan, Ottawa TMJ & Sleep Apnea Clinic
- Jordan Danger Kent, DANGER Communications
- Sebastien Dignard, FRAMOS Technologies
- Kevin Grimes, RE/MAX Affiliates Realty
- Emily Gruenwoldt Carkner, Canadian Association of Paediatric Health Centres
- Brock Higgins, Leaders International
- Catherine Horvath, Ottawa Centre for Resilience
- Steve Hubbard, Lightenco
- Hedyeh Javidnia, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Facial Surgery & Cosmetic Centre of Ottawa
- Vanessa Kanu, Mitel
- Stephanie Karlovits, EPIC Fitness + Lifestyle
- Caitlin Kealey, MediaStyle
- Briana Kim, Cafe My House
- Mara Klammrodt, FLUX Lighting
- Siddhartha Kumar, Access Healthcare Services
- Sarah Lyons, MNP LLP
- Lesley Mackay, Ottawa Tourism
- Kent McCrea, Procom and Keous Solutions
- Craig O’Brien, Nelligan O’Brien Payne
- Jordan O’Leary, Morning Owl
- Chris Pulfer, Posterity Group
- Aaron Smith, EY
- Jean-Sylvain Sormany, Snowed In Studios
- Mark Steele, OCCO Kitchen
- Jennifer Stewart, Syntax Strategies
- Trevin Stratton, BDO Canada LLP
- Justin Tudor, Keller Engineering
- Megan Wallace, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall
- Greg Wetmore, Entrust Datacard
- Ruby Williams, Deloitte
- Pat Woodcock, Elite Performance Academy